Install and run
backUp_0 is fully portable, there's no installation just unzip and run.
To start backing up you need to create backup archive. Click “Create” on the Main window. On Create Catalog window select files and folders to backup. Click "Create", choose the location to save the backup archive, wait for catalog creation to finish then choose whether to copy files right away or later (to copy the files later, open the backup archive (click "Open" on main window), on Archive window click “Resume”).
backUp_0 will backup whatever files you select, though it is highly recommended that selection be limited to personal files/folders (documents, photos, videos, etc.) ignoring system files, system folders (eg. Recycle Bin, Windows), programs, temporary files etc.
Open backup archive, on Archive window click "Scan". Once scan is done lists of new files (and folders), changed files, and deleted files will be displayed. For new files and folders you may deselect them so they won’t be included in the backup (you may include them later by modifying selection). By default all new files and folder are selected. Click "Backup" to copy files.
If you don't want to copy the files, choose "Update only". backUp_0 won't copy the files, it will only update the catalog. In unregistered version only this option is available. You need to copy the files manually.
Change what to backup. Open backup archive, click "Modify selection". On Catalog window, select/deselect files, then click "Save".
- When you deselect files or folders, nothing is actually removed - files that have been backed up will be retained in the backup archive until you remove them manually (see Delete files from backup archive).
- When you select files/folders (that are not currently selected) they won’t be copied right away, only the catalog is updated. The items will be detected as new on the next scan.
- Restore individually - Open backup archive, on Archive window click "View Catalog". Browse for the file/folder you want to restore, then on the left pane select file version(s) to restore (if restoring files). By default files are restored to original location, but if you want restore them somewhere else, specify restore location (bottom left pane).
- Restore all (not available in unregistered version) - Open backup archive, on Archive Window select Restore All. By default files are restored to original location, but if you want to restore them somewhere else, specify restored location (bottom left pane).
Deleting file from backup archive
Delete files from backup archive
With backUp_0 you can delete individual files from the backup archive. To do that open backup archive, on the Main window select "View Catalog". Browse for the file you want to delete on the navigation pane (on the right), select the file, then select the version(s) to delete from the version list (on the side pane), click "Delete".
This feature allows you to modify the catalog's structure. It supports the following operations: create, move, and rename. You want to use this feature when you want to make major changes to the source's folder structure (e.g. moving/renaming large folders) to avoid lengthy scan later. Say you're backing up "C:\my documents" with 10,000 files, and you've changed the name of the folder to "C:\documents", when you run a scan it'll take a long time to complete because backUp_0 will detect 10,000 missing files, and 10,000 new files - and have to process them; but if you edit the catalog before scan, scan will run as if nothing has (significantly) changed, and it won't take any longer than usual.
Update catalog without running scan. Open backup archive, click "Refresh".
Backup on new computer, drive or OS
Moving files to a new computer, new drive or new OS? No problem. You won't have to restart backup, you can continue backing up as if nothing has changed (follow the instruction below to the letter)
1. Scan and backup your files (on current computer/OS)
2. Transfer files
3. Restructure so that the catalog folder structure matches the source folder's structure (if they are different). See Restructure.
4. Refresh (backUp_0 detects modified files using size and date modified attributes. If during file transfer date modified is changed, backUp_0 will detect the files as having been modified, and will back them up again, refreshing ensures that this does not happen. See Refresh.